Wednesday, April 25, Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus was asked to participate in another fabulous Copycat Cover Song Night. Hosted by our friend DJ Xerox at Otto’s Shrunken Head, this one paid tribute to The Turtles and it appears to be one of the last one to take place for a while. For some reason, DJ Xerox is putting all Copycat activities in New York City on hold. As The Spinners once said, it’s a shame, because it is one of the most fun events in town; we were happy to be part of this one.
The bands that played were The Cheap Sneakers and The Unrehearsed. The Cheap Sneakers played its own songs and sprinkled some Turtles songs into the mix. The Unrehearsed played all songs by The Turtles. This band is made up of four musicians who know these songs pretty well. Each is assigned a part and must learn it off the record before playing the song live in Otto’s back room. The Boogaloo Bag writers have witnessed The Unrehearsed do this several times and can attest to the fact that the band knows its stuff!
For his part, Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus started with an instrumental by The Turtles, then proceeded to play all songs from the mid-to-late Sixties–the Turtles Era, if you will–but none of them sung in English (and some instrumentals)! The other two Turtles songs played were both cover songs.
Here’s a list of all the songs played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus at the Copycat Cover Song Night Tribute to The Turtles:
- The Turtles–Buzz Saw (White Whale)
- Hermanos Carrion–Todo A Su Tiempo (Turn, Turn, Turn) (Orfeon; Mexico)
- Les Sultans–Je T’aime Bien (Jeunesse Franco; Canada)
- Les Atomes–J’Aurais Du Lui Dire (Things I Should Have Said) (Capitol; Canada)
- Les Commander’s–N’oublis Pas (Disques Contact; Canada)
- Los Hitter’s–Lo Que Hay Que Aguantar (Last Train to Clarksville) (Orfeon; Mexico)
- Los Johnny Jets–Juntos y Felices (Happy Together) (Discos Columbia)
- The Tempters–Let’s Live for Today (Philips; Japan)
- Les Aristocrates–Ton Visage Maquille de Joie (Message to Pretty) (Choc!; Canada)
- Floyd Cramer–Good Vibrations (RCA Victor)
- Les Bel-Air–Restons Ainsi (Télédisc; Canada)
- Les Revoltes–Je Revis (I’m Alive) (RCA Victor Canada International; Canada)
- The Turtles–Eve of Destruction (White Whale)
- Billy Larkin & the Delegates–Dirty Water (World Pacific)
- Les Sextans–Ils Aiment La Vie (Vedettes; Canada)
- Les Baronets–Amour et Liberte (Canusa; Canada)
- Los Johnny Jets–La Carta (The Letter) (CBS; Costa Rica)
- Los Mustang–Verano en la Ciudad (La Voz de Si Amo; Spain)
- Las Grecas–Soy La Que Sufre Por Tu Amor (Leonor) (CBS; Spain)
- Jose Luis Y Los Maloos–Confesiones de Media Noche (Cap Latino)
- The Turtles–It Ain’t Me Babe (White Whale)
- Els Corbs–Cansat D’Esperar-Te (Endigsa; Spain)
- Sonny Delane–Nossa Botas Foram Feitas Para Andar (Mocambo; Brazil)
- Palito Ortega–Poco Puedo Darte (RCA Victor)
- Claude François–J’ai Joue Et Puis J’ai Perdu (I Fought the Law) (Philips; France)
- Frank Alamo–Heureux Tous Les Deux (Happy Together) (Riviera; France)
None of these records are for sale. Some of them may have links to the youtubes for you to check them out.