ABC Rebel Night is quite possibly the most fabulous Rock’n’Roll dance party in the world!! A couple weeks ago (July 17, 18 & 19, 2015) it celebrated it’s Tenth Anniversary with a super tremendous three day event. On the Friday, a regular Rebel Night Wild Dance Party was held at the Grand Victory in Williamsburg (with our pal DJ Jumpy as one of the guest DJs). Then on the Saturday and Sunday, the celebrations continued at the Shop in Bushwick with live acts and even more wildness: burlesque dancers, limbo contest, barbeque, you name it!
Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus was asked to supply some of the rockin’ tunes, as well as the soundtrack for the limbo contest—grand prize: $100!!!—on the Saturday.
The acts that played the shows included The Clams, Muck and the Mires, Rick Palumbo and the Flipped Fedoras, Jukebox Jodi and Her 45s, The Garnet Hearts, Josh Hi-Fi Sorheim, Will and the Hi-Rollers and Silvertooth Loos and the Witch. PLUS, Johnny Farina of Santo & Johnny (“Sleepwalk”) headlined on Sunday (unfortunately, the Boogaloo Bag writers were away at another event and sadly missed the swingin’ pedal steel guitar playing of Mr. Farina). Other DJs included Hank (from Germany), Savage Matt (from Detroit) and Tommy Rivera (from Chicago).
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so the graphics department of the Boogaloo Bag has worked overtime to present these wonderful photos taken on the Saturday night of this very special event. Click on the photos and they will magically big-o-fi to a size that will not hurt the eyes!
The Boog wishes to thank all the cool Rebel Night crew for inviting him to be part of the scene once again: Thanks Seiji, Junichi, Hiromu and Miss Katie. We hope to see you next year for Hula Rock III!!!
Here’s a list of all the songs played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus, including those played during the limbo contest:
- The Astronauts–Baja (RCA Victor)
- Elvis Presley with the Jordanaires–Rock-A-Hula Baby (Twist Special) (RCA; UK)
- The Rivieras–Let’s Go to Hawaii (Riviera)
- Mickey Gilley–Down the Line (Astro)
- Chubby Checker–Limbo Rock (Parkway)
- Little Anthony & the Imperials–Limbo Part 2 (End)
- Lord Flea and His Calypsonians–Shake Shake Sonora (Capitol)
- Young William and the Jamaicans–Limbo Drum Part II (Dimension)
- The Mighty Sparrow–Bang Bang Lulu (RA; West Indies)
- Preston Epps–Afro Mania (Jo-Jo)
- Willie White & the Bleu Matts–Everybody Dance (Odessa)
- Kid Thomas–Rockin’ This Joint To-Nite (Transcontinental Recording Co.)
- Ba Ba Thomas–Miss Shake It (King)
- Los Sirex–El Tren de la Costa (Vergara; Spain)
- Ronnie Hawkins & the Hawks–Diddley Diddley Daddy (Hawk; Canada)
- The Versatones–Bila (Atlantic)
- The Staccatos–C’mon Everybody (Capitol Canada)
- Eddie Kirk–The Grunt (Fortune)
- The Matadors–Wobble Wobble (Forbes)
None of these records are for sale.