On Thursday July 30, Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus was sent an urgent email from mogul/DJ Jonathan Toubin asking if The Boog could be his guest DJ at JT’s great Shakin’ All Over Under Sideways Down. Sure, when? Tomorrow!!!!
Well, they don’t call him “Phast” for nuthin’! The Boog was able to round up some of his favorite records and make the scene. And what a scene! Not only was Shakin’ in full effect when The Boog walked through the doors of Home Sweet Home on the Lower East Side of Manhattan—with folks dancin’ and carryin’ on to the groovy records played by Mr. Toubin—but also birthdays were being celebrated by two of our favorite people: Steve Myers and Alana Amram.
Steve Myers has been noted before in the pages of the Boogaloo Bag—mostly for his cool rock band The Mighty Fine. Mr. Myers is a New Orleans cat who now lives in Brooklyn. By day he is an agent for celebrity speakers. At night he dresses up and goes out on the town—often to Wang Dang Doodle events. He is also a member of the touring Afghan Whigs. Meet him and be dazzled by his smile and his hip threads.
Alana Amram is a very talented singer/songwriter of the alternative country variety. Her haunting voice and beautiful melodies will make you a fan. She is the daughter of the forward-thinking composer David Amram and recently moved to Los Angeles where she continues to make music with her most excellent band: Alana Amram & the Rough Gems. We are happy to see her whenever she is in town—doubly happy when she attends one of our events.
The Boogaloo Bag wishes Steve and Alana the happiest of birthdays!
Meanwhile, Jonathan Toubin (who actually celebrated his birthday a couple days earlier!) continues to be Jonathan Toubin: DJ extraordinaire. His keen sense of that which is reet is easily discernable whenever he is at the wheels of steel. His Friday nights at Home Sweet Home are truly exciting and spectacular. The club is always full of young people dancing up a storm to records made before their parents were born! Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus tells us that it is always a pleasure to be his guest DJ, but on some nights, Mr. Toubin just over-powers the room with super boss records. The Boog tries his hardest to keep up with the Toubin Dynamo!
Here’s a list of all the records played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus at Shakin’ All Over Under Sideways Down on July 31, 2015:
- Ronnie Kole Trio–Batman Theme (White Cliffs)
- Shadow Lake 8 Orchestra–South Parkway (Em Kay)
- Jesse Henderson–The Gator (Gold Dust)
- The Marcels–Blue Moon (Colpix)
- The Miracles–Come on Do the Jerk (Tamla)
- The Four Shells–Hot Dog (My Baby’s Comin’ Home) (Volt)
- Five Shades–One Hot Dog (And an Orange Drink) (M-G-M)
- The Terrifics–Loco (Valor)
- Bo Diddley–Pretty Thing (Checker)
- The Satelites–We Like Birdland (Palace)
- Tito Puente and His Orchestra–A La Salud (God Bless You) (RCA Victor)
- Andy and the Classics–Wilma (Hurd)
- Gamma Goochee–Boogal-Looa (M-G-M)
- Tom and Jerroo–(Papa Chew) Do the Boo-Ga-Loo (Jerry-O)
- Lou Courtney–Me and You Doin’ the Boogaloo (Riverside)
- The Undertakers–Stupidity (Pye; UK)
- Alan Shelly–Can You Do It (En’nagham; Tunisia)
- Los Johnny Jets–Bule Bu (CBS; Mexico)
- Freddie McCoy–Summer in the City (Prestige)
- Jan Davis–Watusi Zombie (Holiday)
- Jimmy McCracklin–What’s That (Pt. 1) (Mercury)
- Jimmy Liggins and his Drops of Joy Orchestra–Knocked Out (Duplex)
- Lawrence & the Arabians–Money (Hem)
- The Trends–The Soul Clap (ABC)
- Mike St. Shaw–Feel It (Capitol)
- The Baskerville Hounds–Space Rock – Part 2 (Tema)
- Dave Mitchell & the Screamers–The Trip (Met)
- Larry Hale–Shout and Do the Duck (Columbia)
- Ronnie and the Pomona Casuals–I Wanna Do the Jerk (Donna)
- The Iketts–Camel Walk (Modern)
- ‘Baby’ Earl & the Trini-Dads–Back Slop (S.P.Q.R.)
- Sonny Ace & the Twisters–Wooleh Booleh (Atlantic)
- Pedrito Ramirez con Los Yogis–Louie Louie (Discos Angelo; Mexico)
- Dick and Libby Halleman and Their Society Orchestra vs Tom and Ray–Pizza Sure Is Good (Summit)
None of these records are for sale.