The BIG TEN INCH has settled into its regular time-slot: the fourth Sunday of every other month. March’s BIG TEN INCH fell on Easter, so it should be no surprise that some of the folks who came to dig the shellac were dressed up like bunnies! Hi-Fi Bar looked like a rabbit farm!
78s were played by those who brought them: Jukebox Jonny (Grade A Fancy), Alex De Lazslo, Tony Salvaje, Malcolm Tent (Trash American Style), Michael McMahon (Susquehanna Industrial Tool and Die), Adam Lore (50 Miles of Elbow Room), Ted Barron, Andy Upsetter FC and newcomers Heather McCabe and Red Wing Mark.
Wonderful records were played. (See the gallery below for a sampling. Click on the image and it will scientifically Big-O-Fi.) Occasional swing dancing broke out. Pizza was devoured, as were the most excellent chocolate chip cookies that were baked by BOOGALOO BAG photographer Nancy “Jeannie” Gardner. Our friend and frequent BIG TEN INCH attendee Karen McBurnie brought pretzels and robins eggs, which likewise disappeared quickly. Here’s hoping that snacks such as these are at all future BIG TEN INCH events!
Here’s a list of all the 78s played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus at the BIG TEN INCH held on Easter Sunday:
- Big Jay McNeely–Ice Water (Federal)
- Cozy Cole–Strictly Drums (Guild)
- Duke Ellingtons and his Famous Orchestra–Raincheck (Victor)
- Cab Calloway and his Orchestra–Fifteen Minute Intermission (OKeh)
- Al ‘Jazzbo’ Collins–Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Capitol)
- Charlie Barnet and his Orchestra–Swing Street Strut (Bluebird)
- Dinah Washington with Teddy Stewart’s Orchestra–Fast Movin’ Mama (Mercury)
- Fats Waller and his Rhythm–I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter (Victor)
- Ivory Joe Hunter–We’re Gonna Boogie (Pacific)
- Nervous Norvus–Transfusion (Dot)
- Eddie ‘Cleanhead’ Vinson–Bald Headed Blues (King)
- Wynonie ‘Blues’ Harris with Johnny Alston & His All Stars–Playful Baby (Apollo)
- Roy Brown with Earl M. Barnes and His Orchestra–Mighty Mighty Man (DeLuxe)
- Slim Gaillard and His Orchestra–Chicken Rhythm (Majestic)
- Freddie Mitchell Orchestra–Hog Head (Derby)
- Chano Pozo con Ritmo De Tambores–Ritmo Afro-Cubano No. 1 (SMC Pro-Arte)
- Moose Jackson–Big Ten Inch Record (King)
None of these records are for sale.