The November BIG TEN INCH 78 RPM Listening Party was quite possibly the best one ever—certainly since it was resurrected last year. There were lots of folks in attendance and a full dozen folks with 78s to play. Dig: DJ Rata; Adam Lore, Tony Salvaje, Alex De Laszlo, Ted Barron, Michael McMahon, Darren Deicide, Andy Upsetter, Justin CollectorScum, Rich Sibello and John Clemente—plus host Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus. This was quite a departure after the September BIG TEN INCH, when only three DJs showed up. This time, Club Hi-Fi was crowded and folks were excited and enthused about the sounds being put down. All the DJs had some boss jams in the shellac format. Newcomer Darren Deicide delighted us with a series of novelty songs and the other cats played the usual blues, rock’n’roll, hillbilly, mambo, jazz, R&B, doo wop and mento platters. Hi-Fi supplied some pizza and the four pies disappeared before you can say, “pizza sure is good!”
And that’s not all; Boogaloo Bag photographer Nancy “Jeannie” Gardner made some very special fudge and we all were able to satisfy our sweet teeth!
The hits do not stop there. Adam Lore was nice enough to give to The Boog one of the greatest records of all time: “Shrimp and Gumbo” by Dave Bartholomew! (This was especially appreciated after coming off a week where The Boog lost two of his closest friends.) Expect to hear this record at many up-coming BIG TEN INCH Parties! Adam, The Boog owes you in a major way—and he will be happy to make a payback of some sort!
Here’s a list of all the 78s played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus at the BIG TEN INCH, held on November 27th at Hi-Fi in New York City (click on them for link to youtubes):
- Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons–Cuttin’ the Boogie (RCA Victor)
- Al Castellanos and Orch.–Free for All (Ya-Se Formo) (Mardi-Gras)
- Josh White–Hard Time Blues (Musicraft)
- Brother Lee Roy–Indian Giver (Epic)
- Sir Lancelot; Gerald Clark’s Caribbean Serenaders–Scandal in the Family (Keynote)
- Red Norvo and His Selected Sextet–Halleluliah (Comet)
- Lalo Guerrero–Pancho Lopez (Davy Crockett) (Real)
- Earl Bostic–Artistry by Bostic (Gotham)
- ‘Gatemouth’ Moore; Budd Johnson’s All Stars–Walking My Blues Away (National)
- Arthur Gunter–Baby Let’s Play House (Excello)
- Dave Bartholomew–Shrimp and Gumbo (Imperial) [YAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!]
- Luke Jones and Orchestra–Rompin’ the Boogie (RPM)
- The Just Jazz All Stars featuring Louis Bellson–Punkin’ (Capitol)
- Bill Crosby and His Band–Eat, Drink and Be Merry (Columbia)
- Moose Jackson–Big Ten-Inch Record (King)
None of these records are for sale.
Below is a gallery of some of the 78s played at the BIG TEN INCH: