On July 27, Joshua White, an owner of the tastefully appointed Robert Bar in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn, posted on the Facedog that he needed a DJ for Saturday August 19. Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus–living up to his name, for once–saw it and pounced. Maybe a second or two later, Connie T Empress, the Empress of Soul Records, also saw it and asked for the night. Thus, it was decided that the tiara-wearing Empress and be-fezzed Boogaloo Omnibus join forces on this evening in order to present Tiara vs Fez: There’s Gonna Be a Showdown!
As has been written previously in the Boogaloo Bag , Connie T Empress was the den mother of the late, great Empire State Soul Club. Also, that Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus is the resident DJ for the Subway Soul Club. So you just know that when these two get together a few soul records will be played.
And so they were.
The Empress excited all the attendees with her excellent selection of favorites from the Empire State Soul Club days. Those ESSC events were so fabulous and every record that Miss Connie played reminded us all just how so. The Boog, on the other hand, played a bunch of new acquisitions along with a few old favorites and folks seemed to dig it anyway.
Another one of the highlights of the night were the yummy oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies baked by Nancy “Jeannie” Gardner. Although she was unable to make the scene, her presence was very much felt! Thank you, Miss Nancy! It was great to see some familiar faces at the Robert Bar and we met some new folks, too, including Christopher Kay and Luis Zuluaga, both of whom took some photos that are presented here in this Boogaloo Bag post. Thank you, people!
Here’s a list of all the records played by Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus at Tiara vs Fezz: There’s Gonna Be a Showdown!
- Sam Wright Group–Green Onions (Curio)
- Rudy Robinson–The Mustang – Part One (Wheel City)
- The O’Jays–I Dig Your Act (Bell)
- The Spidells featuring Billy Lockridge–Hmmm With Feeling Darling (Monza)
- Bobby Newton & Tina Blount–Your Love Gets Sweeter Everyday (Intrepid)
- The Dynamics–Dum-De-Dum (Cotillion)
- Sherry Pye–Gimme a Break (Match)
- The Grandisons–Daddy Roll ‘Em (RCA Victor)
- Betty Mabry–It’s My Life (Columbia)
- Les Mersey’s–T’en Fais Pas Jacques (Hit the Road Jack) (Premiére; Canada)
- Carlos and the Rivingtons–Reach Our Goal (Baton Master)
- The Miracles–Happy Landing (Tamla)
- Joe Bataan–Es Tu Cosa (It’s Your Thing) (Fania)
- The Van-Dells–Honeydripper (Stax)
- Oliver Morgan–Hold Your Dog (GNP Crescendo)
- The Four Singing Avalons–The Yankee Dance (Atco)
- Thelma Jones–The House That Jack Built (Barry!)
- The Salem Travelers–Wade in the Water (Halo)
- The Ikettes–Make Em Wait (Pompeii)
- The Dells–There Is (Cadet)
- The Four Larks–Groovin’ at the Go-Go (Tower)
- Johnny Tame–Steak & Cake (Fontana; German)
- The Kittens–Shindig (ABC Paramount)
- Troy Dodds–Earthquake (Baytown)
- Ozz & His Sperlings–Somebody to Love (M.I.O.B.)
- Sly & the Family Stone–Ride the Rhythm [from EP Free Mini LP] (Epic; UK)
- Dave ‘Baby’ Cortez–Fiddle Sticks (Chess; Canada)
- Watson and the Sherlocks–Standing on the Corner (Soulville)
- Larry & the Mighty Storms–Eldorado Suzie (Atco)
- Eddie Bo–Just Like a Monkey (Cinderella)
- The Undisputed Truth–You Got the Love I Need (Gordy)
- Warlock–You’ve Been My Rock (Music Merchant)
- Wilson Pickett–Mama Told Me Not to Come (Atlantic)
- The Intrigues–Let’s Dance (Yew)
- The Mighty Hannibal–Get in the Groove (Loma)
- The Kickapoo Kidd and the Deputies–The Kick-A-Poo Pt. 1 (Soulville)
- Bobby Taylor–Mashed Potatoe Time (Club Long Island)
- The Honey Drippers–Impeach the President (Alaga)
- Marie ‘Queenie’ Lyons–See and Don’t See (DeLuxe)
- Kitty Montgomery–Hey Boy (Sanns)
- The Volcanos–You’re Number 1 (Arctic)
- The Peaches–Music to My Ears (Constellation)
- Kenny Bernard–Ain’t No Soul (Left in These Ole Shoes) (Compass)
- Nicoletta–Vis Ta Vie (Riviera; France)
- Jessica James–We’ll Be Makin’ Out (DynoVoice)
- Jr. Walker & the All Stars–Shoot Your Shot (Soul)
- Johnny Griffith accompanied by Billy Sha-Rae’s Band–Do It (Triple ‘B’)
- Harvey Scales & the Seven Sounds–Broadway Freeze (Magic Touch)
- James Duncan–Too Hot to Hold (King)
- Howlin’ Wolf–Pop It to Me (Chess)
None of these records are for sale. Dig the links to the youtubes and dig the soul sounds!